Bombardier Tram Noise Reduction
The Bombardier engineering team sought locally made vibration damping
tiles to reduce the noise of their new state-of-the-art trams. The team had stringent design requirements for the damping tiles to ensure
optimal soundproofing and acoustic insulation.
The new tram design
(courtesy of Bombardier)
Key Soundproofing Product Requirements
- High vibration damping capacity
- Self-adhesive for easy installation
- Suitable for outdoor application
- High-temperature resistance
- Must pass the heat soak test
The Soundproofing Solution
Megasorber engineers worked closely with the Bombardier design engineers and developed unique self-adhesive steel vibration damping tiles custom-designed
for the soundproofing application: Megasorber DT2S-S5.
1. The vibration "hot-spots" were pin-pointed
The self-adhesive damping tiles were positioned at the vibration hot spots to maximise the acoustic performance.
2. The DT2S damping tile was customised into two sizes
Megasorber DT2S-S5 Self-Adhesive Vibration Damping Tiles: customised into two sizes
3. The durability of damping tiles was tested by performing a heat soak test
- 24 hours oven test at 90°C
- 24 hours oven test at 130°C
- 24 hours oven test at 150°C
- 24 hours oven test at 180°C
Samples were not cooled in between individual stages of the heat soak test, i.e. after 24 hours exposure to 90°C the temperature was raised to
130°C and the test was continued. It took oven about 30 minutes to get to the new temperature level.
Damping Tile Test Samples
Damping Tiles in Oven
No Delamination of Damping Tiles After Test
4. Validation of the damping performance
The damping decay rate of 80.2 dB per second, well exceeded the target of 75dB per second. The test results are shown in the graph below.
Vibration Damping Performance Tested
5. Easy, simple installation: just “peel and stick on”
Megasorber was able to integrate an effective soundproofing solution to meet the Bombardier tram engineering team's brief and successfully
soundproof the fleet of trams.
The key advantages of the Megasorber soundproofing solution were:
- Locally made soundproofing products
- Superior acoustic performance
- Reduction in installation cost - simple and easy to install
- Shorter lead time
- Inventory kept down with just-in-time delivery
Contact Megasorber Today for a Customised Solution to Your Noise Problem